Youtube Home Cooking
In Korean motorways, there are many rest stops where you can pull over for restrooms or a meal midway through your trip. These places are literal food heaven, filled with unique Korean snacks that are easy to pick and eat for your road trip. We used to see so many “Korean rest stop reaction” videos on YouTube, with foreign visitors coming across the rest stops to be taken aback at the number of food options!
In the video above, you would’ve seen the boiled baby potatoes in a cup, which is the Korean motorway rest stop classic. Depending on the food stall you visit, you can either find these slightly cooked in sesame oil and flavoured with a sprinkle of salt (which is surprisingly AMAZING), or taken up a level and cooked in butter. Both ways it’s the standard rest stop snack / winter snack that you can find daily on Korean streets as well. With the most basic ingredients that we can always access, it just became every Korean’s favourite thing to snack on! When these potatoes are just out from the pan and piping hot, there’s nothing else that can warm you up better.
Naver Blog | 긍정의 여왕
And next to the potatoes, there’s always their best friend - sweetcorns. These cooked sweetcorns are often skewed on wooden sticks to make them easier to eat. They are called “Mayak Oksusu” which means “drug corns,” meaning that they are THAT addictive 🤣 I remember not being a fan of boiled corns until the day I met this yellow chunk of wonder, that caught me with its buttery aroma at the first glance. The two crops mentioned, potatoes and corn, are cooked in very similar ways. The recipes are no more than a piece of cake, which is the reason why I paired them together.
Korean Rest Stop Potatoes
- Baby Potatoes
- Salted Butter
1) Peel & boil the baby potatoes until cooked with a pinch of salt (approx. 10-15mins).
2) On a low heated pan, add butter, a pinch of salt, and 1-2 spoons of sugar (depending on the preference).
3) When the ingredients are melted, add the boiled potatoes and cook. (*Be careful not to mash the potatoes when rolling them around the pan!)
- Corns (2)
- Chilli Powder
- Parmesan Cheese (optional)
1) Boil two corns (approx. 3-5mins) and cool them to chop in halves if preferred.
2) Ona low heated pan, add 2 Tbsp of butter, 2 Tbsp of mayonnaise, 1 Tbsp sugar, and a pinch of salt. Mix all ingredients until melted.
3) Add 1 tsp of chilli powder to the sauce and mix up.
4) Cook the boiled corns in the sauce by rolling it around the pan.
Trust me on this. These recipes are so basic and way too easy for you cooking elites, but they are THE recipes that cannot fail ANYONE. I’m sure that many of you will have potatoes or corns lying around the pantry somewhere right now. So, when you’re snuggling on the couch for a movie night, ditch the popcorn and try these Korean winter special snacks while the winter chills are still here. They just won’t be the same when you have them when the warmer season comes - which feels like is going to be very soon 🙌